My dissertation, “Portable Altars, Devotion, and Memory in German Lands, 1050-1190 CE,” examines the patronage and production of portable altars in what is now north-central Germany.
Browse my database of surviving medieval portable altars here.
Other Research Projects and Interests
- Medieval Mass outdoors and without churches
- Tents and moveable sacred space
- Devotional objects in texts
- Movement of materials (gemstones, ivory, etc.) for devotional object creation
- Medieval mineral and metal mining
- Medieval blacksmithing
- Relics of the Holy Nails
- Medieval significance of porphyry (stone)